Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I Heart You...

It's almost here - heart holiday.  Love everywhere.  Kisses, ribbons and chocolate.  LOVE this holiday.  No pun intended.

I found some cute heart cookie cutters so I drug them out west with me last weekend to make cookies with the kids.  Nugget was totally into it - he helped me mix the dough, roll it out, cut out the cookies (eating some raw dough along the way.... why not?) and taste test them when they came out.  Fave part?  The sprinkles.  Who doesn't love sprinkles?  Even I love sprinkles!



Dumping nearly the entire bottle on two cookies, I watched him in awe.  He was so proud, so excited to be helping.  Repeating the colors out loud as he poured each one.  Reminding all of us that they were hearts, in case we forgot.

I was totally at ease.  Completely different than when I cook with little guy.  I'm usually up on the wheel, telling him what to do (and what not to do), trying to make everything perfect.  I'm not sure why I do that.  And I'm really not sure what makes it so different with nugget.

I've said before that there is just a special relationship a parent has with their grandchildren.  It's so hard to define but so different than being a parent.  There is a certain ease to it, a comfortability, a pure unconditional love.  It's awesome. 

I love the fact that I have a grandson with my own child still at home.  Nugget reminds me to chill out and not be so hard on my little guy.  Sure I have massive expectations of him still but I don't ALWAYS have to be riding him to do the right thing.  Maybe if I try to apply some of my uninterrupted attention to little guy as much as I do with E I could connect more with him.

Maybe we'll even bake cookies.  And I won't get on his case about doing something incorrectly.  Seemed to work perfectly with nugget.



Ah... motherhood.  Hardest thing EVER.  Golden parachute?  Grandkids.  Best reward of all.

Have a great Wednesday, friends! 
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment