Friday, October 25, 2013

FRIDAY FAVES!

As I stared at my Halloween decorations neatly tucked on a shelf in the basement this week, I realized this is probably it:  the last trick or treat.  I remember Bub's like it was yesterday.  It was the first year he didn't want Hubs and I to walk with him... or anywhere near him.  He wanted to go alone with his friends.

It was different 12 years ago.  And we lived in a very small, tight knit community.

Halloween in our 'hood where we live now is INSANE.  There are a zillion kids running everywhere.  Parents line every sidewalk with wagons and strollers, stopping at every other house to catch up with friends.

And it takes 3 hours... or something like that.

I learned a long time ago the best solution to freezing cold standing all night is a warm cup of apple cider... and a 5 gallon cooler of it to come along.  With maybe a little hooch in it.  Maybe.

So I guess I better drag out the black decorations this weekend and throw them up.  Little guy has already asked if I'm going to.  He's such a stickler for "traditions".

All I see is more stuff to put away in ONE WEEK.  Oh well... the things we do for the kiddos.

Enjoy my fave spookies from around the web and have a fantastic haunting day next week, friends!

FAVE DRINKY DRINKY

Yep - here it is!  My friend Kim gave me this recipe 5 years ago when I first moved into our 'hood and I have faithfully made it every year since.  WAY YUMMY!  Be careful though... it's powerful!

It was that time of Year again for the Hot Apple Pie Shots! 1 gallon Apple Cider, 1 gallon Apple Juice, 3 cups sugar, 8 cinnamon sticks and 1 750ml bottle of everclear. I modified it this year and cut the recipe in half so I would end up with a little over one gallon. I also substituted some of the sugar with brown sugar instead.




FAVE MAKEUP

For years I have slathered on Dracula, camo and skull looking paint on my boys.  NEVER has it turned out this incredibly cool.  I totally gave up but wish I could accomplish this level of work.  This is COOL!




FAVE FUR FRIEND

In ode to my grandfurbaby.  Here's to you, Hank.  Hope you get some extra lovin' on haunting day!  Nana loves ya!



FAVE YUMMO

This gem goes out to Sassy's momma.  She makes the BEST chocolate covered strawberries on the PLANET!  How cute are these, Julie?




FAVE HANGOUT

I love me some porch pics.  This one screams to me (although I could do without the cat, no offense to my cat lovin' friends).  I love the idea of the white punkins!




FAVE SCARY (OKAY, TERRIFYING!)

Seriously creepy.  CREEPY.  AHHHHH!!!



FAVE KID SNACK

I can't make lots of things but I can totally make these.  Pretzel sticks, marshmallows and white chocolate.  Sign me up!



FAVE TRADITION

My boys LOVE the weekend before Halloween, as we have traditions.  Usually it is my first official batch of chili for the year.  We carve pumpkins and drink mulled cider (no, not the Apple Pie Shots shown above!)  We usually throw on a funny Halloween movie and giggle all night long.

This year will be different.  The west coast kids are, well, on the west coast (snuggling their own little new bug!)  Little guy has 5 games this weekend.  YES, FIVE.  How in the world we can fit this in I have no idea. 

But I'll die trying!




FAVE ADVICE - SAVE THE PUMPKINS!

Did anyone else already know this?  Every year we work HOURS tirelessly on cool pumpkin carvings to watch them wither away the very next day.

We can preserve them!  WOO HOO!!



“After you scoop out and carve your pumpkin, dip it in a large container of bleach and water (use a 1 tsp:1 gal mix). The bleach will kill bacteria and help your pumpkin stay fresh longer. Once completely dry, (drain upside down), add 2 tablespoon of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to a quart of water. Brush this solution onto your pumpkin to keep it looking fresh for weeks.”


FAVE CAKES

Why wouldn't this be the easiest thing ever?  My little nugget absolutely LOVES his cakes... cupcakes, that is!  I wish I was with him to give him a few of these.  For breakfast, of course.

SWEET!


'
Happy Haunting next week, friends!!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment