Tuesday, December 24, 2013

May the Force be with You...

Christmas Eve.  Peace and Joy.  Quiet tranquility.

Yeah, right.

Every woman I know is utterly exhausted.  Party after party, gift after gift, dinner after dinner.  Women hold families together with their endless planning, shopping and hosting.

And don't forget the three F's... Forced Family Fun.

Navigating family gatherings is often tricky.  Forced smiles and laughs fill the room.  Awkward non-descript conversations take place.  Past emotions always seem to sit right in the back of the throat.

It's amazing to me that people that don't even speak to one another all year come together awkwardly and pretend all is calm and bright.  Well - it is all about the children.  We should put on a good show for them.

I'm so super thankful I don't endure that pressure.  After 20 years of marriage and 42 years of life, I finally figured it out.  I spend my time with the ones I love and who love me.  I don't do anything I wouldn't do any other time of the year and I completely refuse to act.

I told my mother in law to shut her pie hole Sunday.  She smacked me and ran from the room while my sister and I laughed.  And then she forgave me, as always.  Because I am who I am.

I love my little family.  I love our genuine behavior.  I love that we are imperfect, off balance and a little crazy.  I love that we tease and love each other completely.  It really makes my heart warm and makes the season all that much better.

And I love that this time every year the kids have to measure each other...against Pooh (or Pop or Poppy, depending on the grandchild).  I have a feeling the Little Guy is gonna trump Dad in a few short years!



In just a few short days the west coast kids will arrive!  I cannot wait to get my arms around all of them and squeeze tight.  It has been 10 long weeks since I saw them and during the holidays that always seem so much longer.  I can't wait to smell little Miss A, who has already changed so much.  I hope I haven't packed on to much weight to chase Nugget around the house.  And I hope we can fill up the kid's love buckets enough to sustain them until our next visit.

Have a very Merry Christmas Eve, friends!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment