Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Gobble, Gobble

I signed up for the Gobbler Grind 5k run with my friend Kim immediately following the Race for the Future race in October determined that I was going to keep running through the cold weather changes.  My turbo kick efforts were in full swing and I was teetering on the verge of my 38th birthday.  I knew to rest up a bit before the race so I decided to take off the week before, including kick class.  What was I thinking?  I should know better to let that much time go by without exercising.  I am SUCH a procrastinater, which I have always known but rarely admit.  The week that led up to the Grind was awesome - I had a great birthday dinner at my in-laws (who always work double duty trying to make me feel that people care I was born), birthday dinner with Davis (an entire bottle of wine and crab cakes!) and then the pinnacle:  Eat and Greet with the Zac Brown Band before their concert!  I refused to even see that not only was I NOT exercising at all, I was packing in the food like no other!  My 20 lb. weight loss quickly slipped to 16 and my body was responding in anger, holding onto every fat gram that I put in my mouth.

I picked up Kim for the race Saturday morning at 6:30 and felt good.  We drank some weird energy drink that Phil Parks gave us (looked like some NASA concoction but tasted like Tang) and hit the road.  The race was packed - I hadn't been to that big of a race yet.  About 1,700 runners were lined up and ready to go.  The race continued beyond the 5k to a half marathon and marathon and I admit I was a little jealous of those runners choosing to keep going.  They had their fanny packs, water belts... looked like pros.  I was still unprepared - shorts over my tights because it was cold, three shirts on, gloves... doomed to be sweaty but thinking the temp would keep it down.  It didn't.

The race began with us close to the front.  I took off - the pack was so energized and I was right along with them.  When we hit the 1/2 mile mark, the marker indicated we were pacing at 9:44.  Seriously?!  What was I thinking?!  I made the crucial mistake of starting to hard.  I tried to slow it up a bit but found myself being weirdly competitive with Kim and her sister, Camille.  Needless to say at mile 2 they both lapped me.  I was so mad at myself.  I tried to remain calm and know that I could reserve and push it at the end but in my heart I knew I had exhausted at the beginning.  Was my head working against me?

As I came around the last turn at mile 3, I noticed Tim and Coop standing on the sideline of the finish.  My heart jumped - I was so excited to see them.  My legs were throbbing and my lungs tired but I pushed it as much as I could and finished.  Kim and Camille were waiting for me... smiling.  I'm sure thinking "What a complete dork - she started to fast!"  This is part of the learning curve, right? 

4 days later, I'm still in pain.  Tim has rubbed my calves.  I have taken hot baths.  I have used BioFreeze (WOW, that stuff is POTENT!)  I'm pushing through without Ibuprofen.  I haven't exercised this week and now it is time to eat turkey.  Oh well.

I WILL hit the gym next week.  I WILL go to Turbo Kick class at least twice.  I WILL run 3 miles, 3 times.  Back to the basics.  Next race.. January 9th.  I WILL be prepared and I WILL steady my pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment