Thursday, September 19, 2013

Forever in Our Hearts

We hopped in the car very early that spring Saturday morning.  It was late May but the rains would not stop pouring down.  As we made our way down the narrow country gravel roads, I was concerned the water on the roadway would sweep us away in one fail swoop.

As we turned into the long, narrow drive my eyes quickly began to scan the area.  I knew the pen must be set up somewhere close to the house and my heart was racing with anticipation.  Who wouldn't be excited to meet their new baby?

I practically lept from the car the moment it was in park (mostly because of the rain).  It had somehow trailed off by the time we reached the house to a slow mist, albeit fog still hung heavy in the air.

There it was.  At first glance my pulse quickened.  It was going to be an impossible feat.  How in the world could we choose just one sweet baby from this giant litter?

Mom was present in a separate area but nonetheless watching over her babes.  She was beautiful - a tall, lean golden lab with a look of majesty about her.  Dad was off somewhere, no doubt trying to find his own trouble.

I slipped quickly into the pen and squat down to get a better look.  Eight beautiful pups, girls and boys, scrambled to get closer to my lap.  They were full of energy, hope and promise for a new home.  As we panned the group, we couldn't help but notice one little guy off on his own.  He was quiet.  Unassuming.  Independent.

He was a Davis.

Our hearts melted.  We quietly lifted him into our arms and smelled his sweet puppy breath.  He was ours.

Fourteen years of unconditional love.  Jackson lived to bring my family closer together.  He layed his head on our laps in time of pain to quietly comfort us.  He snuggled on our beds in attempt to keep us warm.  He protected us with his quiet, unassuming yet amazingly intense glare.

He loved us.  And we loved him.






My beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health, do not turn me away from you.  Rather, hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

We will miss you terribly, sweet man. Thank you for blessing our family.  Our hearts are forever filled with your love.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jen:
    What a noble tribute to your dog. You know all of the Harris clan are grieving for you. WE are all such animal lovers and we have all been there......and will be there again because that is what we do, love animals.
    When my beloved Holly died in May, I was just so grief stricken, but the pain has eased and my Babykitty has pretty much taken her place. I still see her and put her in my final count each night to make sure everyone is in their beds, but she had a good, pampered life as did your Jackson. Just remember, Jackson will be there to greet you at Rainbow bridge and you will all be together again.
    Love you,
    Mama Jean

    ReplyDelete