Monday, May 20, 2013

Just call me GRACE

Ever have an embarassing moment?  A stubbed flipflop toe on a sidewalk stopping to make sure nobody was looking?  Hitting the restroom to wash your hands at a party and realizing there are "friends" in your nose?  Getting caught during a business presentation reading (and responding) to text messages? 

I am the queen of these moments.  My speciality, however, has to be falling.  And no, I don't have to have cocktails to do so.  But falling itself isn't the hardest part, it's the achy broken body I have to contend with in the aftermath.

I'm no longer a small girl.  Falling down is best for kids.  My resiliency is SHOT.

This isn't a new thing for me.  My entire life I have felt off balance.  I'm energetic and love sports but never really maintained the balance needed.  My mom even signed me up for gymnastics when I was 10 to try to make it better however I fell from the uneven parallel bars and landed on my neck... only once (yes, that could be what is wrong with me).  I'm even fairly certain I have blogged on this topic before.

I have grand ideas of what I want my body to be able to do.  I want to be able to run up the stairs three at a time.  I want to be able to do a back handspring.  I want to be able to jump up and down with ease.  My brain says Yes, yes, yes!

Alas, my body has ideas of its own.

Sunday morning I went on the best individual run I think I've ever had.  I wasn't super fast but I ran a steady pace on the open road with many hills.  It was hard. I perservered and never quit.  I was totally proud of myself.

Just before the run, however, I wasn't so proud. 

I water my flowers early every morning.  I like my new routine.  It's quiet, calm and I stop to enjoy the beauty before me.  So of course I tried to destroy it.

I worked around a hanging plant (over my head, no doubt) to prune the dead blooms off the center as I watered.  I love this new friend, full of surprises with 5 or 6 different plants within.  It's big, colorful blooms make me smile every morning.  As I stood on tip toes, gently pulling and rotating, I never saw my position until it was to late.

I fell off the porch.  Only about 3 ft from the ground but of course with bushes planted under me. 
I fell right into the center of one of three bushes, snapping branches beneath me.

UGH.  Just call me grace.

I scrambled up quickly, staring at the damaging scene as if to try to find out who pushed me.  I scanned the neighbs' houses to make sure nobody was up witnessing my tumble.  I ran inside whining to Hubs who looked at me as if it was no shock to hear that I had fallen off my own front porch with NOBODY near me (and no cocktails to blame it on).

And today I'm paying for it.  Scratches everywhere.  Stuff hurts.  In general I'm fairly unhappy about my inability to be graceful.

The good news?  At least I'm not in a boot, cast or sling.  It could always be worse.

I'll leave you with my FAVE commercial..... click here to enjoy.  I totally understand!

MAYHEM WORLDS WORST CLEANING LADY


Until the next fall,
Gracie Lou Freebush

No comments:

Post a Comment