Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Out of the Shell

The Little Guy has emerged.  He's stronger, more confident and his self esteem is sky high.  Not like it needed to be any higher.

Coop participated in the annual talent show at our elementary school yesterday.  He and his buddies (and a few girls) got together months ago and decided to try out.  When he came home that night with the parent permission slip, I was absolutely stunned.

"Hey mom, will you sign this for me?"
"Sure bud, what is it?"
"It's my permission slip to be in the talent show."

Silence.

"Um, whatcha planning on doing, honey?  You know you can't play {insert sport of choice} on a stage, right?"
"I know, mom.  I'm dancing."

Silence again.

"Um, you are dancing?  Uh, okay. This should be interesting.  Hand it over."

I was convinced of two things that very moment:  1.  He wouldn't make it past try outs.  2.  If he did by some stroke of luck he would come down with scarlet fever or diphtheria immediately before the performance.

I was wrong... on both counts, thank goodness.

Not only did he and his friends make it in, they actually choreographed (okay, they ARE 5th grade boys, so take that with a grain of salt) moves, coordinated what everyone was gonna wear (well, some of them) and got super serious about all of it.

I am still in awe.  People that know my little guy see him usually as friendly, outgoing, confident.  They don't see what we see in the safety of our home:  a doubting, worrying sometimes vulnerable little guy that easily gets his feelings hurt.

Needless to say I was completely nervous for him.  Granted he wasn't going to be alone, he stood center stage, kicked off the dance by himself and didn't even flinch about it.

I would have NEVER had the courage to do this at 11.  Hell, I don't have that courage at 41.  Sure with a little liquid courage you might find me on a karaoke stage somewhere but without it... forget it.

Aside from the actual performance itself, my son learned a very valuable lesson through this experience.  Get out there.  Take risks.  Be brave.  And most of all - don't worry.  Everything works out in the end.  Oh... and you might have a little bit of fun in the process.

Little guy, second from left, with talent show friends


I am so proud of him.  This trumps an A on a paper any day (or the winning touchdown).  I can't wait to see what he will push himself to do next.  In all honesty, I'm a little jealous.  I wish I had that courage.  I'm definitely better as I get older but you won't find me diving off the 33 meter platform anytime soon.

Enjoy your Wednesday, friends.  Be brave!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment