Wednesday, October 05, 2011

New age, new perspective

So it dawned on me after attending a conference with the BFF last week on Women's Health that I still have a TON of work to do.  I have been reading other's blogs lately and definitely think I need to brush up on mine and reinvent it a bit.  Sure, I still love to run.  I just don't want to talk about it anymore.  I think training for two marathons in the same year have caused a bit of burn out.  So I'll put that on the back burner... it's time to focus on other stuff!

Back to the conference - we learned so many things about women that day.  We don't know how to relax.  We don't know how to maintain our weight.  We don't know how to prioritize our time.  We don't know how to take good care of our bodies.  Basically, we suck at seeing OURSELVES. 

But wait!  We aren't supposed to focus on ourselves, right?  ESPECIALLY if we are moms (and wives) - it's an unwritten rule.  SACRIFICE.  Sacrifice your body, sacrifice your dreams, sacrifice your money, sacrifice your time.  That's what we are required to do, isn't it? 

I'm saying NO MORE.  No, I'm not running away from my family and living on a beach (although that might be fun?)  But it's time to figure out how to include MYSELF in this equation.  I really started the transformation last year on my birthday, realizing it was the last year in my 30's.  I exercised more, ate better, tried to strengthen my friendships ~ still I feel a bit lost.

But as I'm quickly approaching 40, it's becoming even more clear to me.  If I don't do it now and I wait it out (as most of my friends plan to do), what will become of me by the time I'm ready?  What will I have let my body look like, what will my soul have become, what interests will I have if I don't focus on the development of me?

So as I approach the new age, I'm going to try a new perspective. I'm going to take time to blog as often as I can through my journey. Be prepared - some days may just be me being confused or frustrated.. but hey, it wouldn't be a journey without that!  So here goes, over the fire!

No comments:

Post a Comment