Sunday, August 04, 2013

Relax... Don't Do It

The past two weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions.  Wrapping up the baseball season, beginning football, our 20th celebrations and school starting in less than 2 weeks have completely emotionally drained me.  One would assume lows are all that wipe out a person physically but the highs in life have the same effect, specifically when piled upon one another.

I'm joyfully spent.  It's the best feeling ever.

Today I want to write.  I want to wrap myself and little guy in the softest blanket we own and sit on the couch watching John Hughes movies.  I want to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon with my Hubs.  I want to dive into my new book club read.

I want to choose to be lazy, allow myself the down time and not feel guilty about it.

This is a very difficult task for me.  I am always on the go, completing task after task always looking forward.  I don't stop much at all, certainly not for myself.  But I also know what happens when you don't stop enough - someone seems to help you out with that.

A friend of ours has encountered a stop - a pretty big one.  A busy, busy person with many balls in the air was recently in an accident.  He wasn't even hurrying - quite the opposite he was attempting to relax and enjoy life.

He's slowing down now, at least for the time being.  Because it isn't his choice.  I am thinking about him today, his encounter and how very lucky he is to still be with us.

I stop to reflect from time to time how fast I'm moving.  How many commitments I have made.  How much life I try to jam into small spaces of time.  I'm ever cognizant of living in the moments, trying to see clearly my life experiences as they are happening.

Today, the dishes can wait.  The laundry can wait.  The chores will still be there.  Sure, it may force me to double up my efforts when I conceivably won't have time but I am certain it will be worth every single moment.

Yep... certain of it.

Enjoy your Sunday, friends.  Hope you have time to relax!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment