Monday, December 10, 2012

Bah, Humbug!


That's what it's all about, isn't it? That's what it's always been *about*. Gifts, gifts... gifts, gifts, gifts, gifts, gifts. You wanna know what happens to your gifts? They all come to me. In your garbage. You see what I'm saying? In your *garbage*. I could hang myself with all the bad Christmas neckties I found at the dump. And the avarice... 

 The avarice never ends! "I want golf clubs. I want diamonds. I want a pony so I can ride it twice, get bored and sell it to make glue." Look, I don't wanna make waves, but this *whole* Christmas season is... 

 ...stupid, stupid, stupid!

The Grinch

I am so sad that I have fallen so far behind reading other's blogs.  It's something I vow to catch up over the holiday season as best I can.  I love reading stories of family togetherness, seasonal celebrations and overall joy being spread all over the place.... even when I don't always feel that way.
 
Christmas is by far my hubs' fave season of the year.  He absolutely LOVES giving gifts, watching the surprise and excitement when they are opened and the true adoration we all have when he gives us something we love.  And he's a REALLY good shopper.  He gives complete thought to every single purchase it makes, its intended use and meaning and purpose.  He doesn't buy "stuff" that will sit on a shelf, sit in a drawer or be unused.  It's just simply not his style.
 
Which is one of the biggest things I love about him.  We don't buy for each other often but when we do, I always win.  He, unfortunately, seems to always lose.
 
I suck at presents.  And shopping.  And wrapping. 

All of the above.
 
Christmas, much to hubs demise, is my least fave holiday.  In many ways I actually hate it.
 
The shopping can kiss my ass.  I hate consumers running around stores grabbing up crap to give away hoping it will be liked.  I hate spending money on basically everything unless I can see the end result directly.  I hate guessing what someone might want or need.

 
 
And that's about it.  I'm a NEED based girl.  I only buy what I actually need.  I don't spend hundreds of dollars on my hair, nails, clothes, shoes or even car.  I just don't do it.  But this time of year, I'm supposed to.
 
Which is why I love hubs so much.  Because he gives me things he knows I would NEVER buy for myself, things that I don't need, things that I will love.
 
Just as I've done in years past - I will promise to try really, really hard this time.  I will buy presents without worrying if the other person will love it or not.  I will try to be jolly all of the days and not scornful about the stupid returns lines, rude shoppers and zombiefied sales clerks.
 
This year was already going to be rough on me with Bubba and fam out west but I recently learned my brother and fam are moving out east... in a week.  We didn't see each other often but somehow knowing he will be gone and I can't go visit him easily will be somewhat strange to me.  At least we all have cell phones.
 
Bah humbug, friends.  I'm trying - really I am!  Have a great Monday (being jolly).

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment