Monday, December 31, 2012

Moving on Up... to 2013!

New Years Eve.  A time to reflect.  A time to plan for a new year.  A time to start over, to set new goals and to make ourselves better in the coming months.



For as much as a planner as I am, one would expect me to make long lists of resolutions each New Years Eve.  It may come as a surprise to many of you, but I simply don't.  Oh, I used to.  But years of experience have shown me that that particular "wish list" of change just isn't the way to get me motivated.  If nothing else, it gives me an opportunity for failure and disappointment.


I read an interesting article last week specifically addressing my zodiac, Scorpio.  It was dead on (for me anyway) so I thought I'd share.  For the record, I'm not one of those type of people that reads my horoscope everyday and believes it will all come true.  Nope, I'm not that gullible (insert laughter now).  No I believe our fate is made by our decisions, our paths and sometimes just pure luck (being in the right place at the right time).

But this one did strike me as accurate - as it relates to me anyway.

In essence, it indicated that we are an "all or none" group of people.  Nothing in moderation.  If we set our mind to something, we go all in.  Scorpios do nothing in moderation.  Which unfortunately can lead us into an obsessive compulsive way of life if not careful.

Yep, that would be me.  

I'm all in.  Or I'm not.  There isn't a lot of gray matter in my life.  I think that is one of the things Hubs loves about me.  I also think it is his biggest challenge.  From me, anyway.

If I were going to set any goals today, it would be more of the same (and I'm sure similar to your lists as well).  Of course I have an entire set of goals for my career so I won't bore you with those.  Maybe if I write down a couple of things I'll stick to them?  It's doubtful.  But I'll try.

Okay, here goes.

1.  Lose weight.  Shocker.
2.  Run more.  Another shocker.
3.  Eat food as fuel.  Yeah, I'm sure you're surprised.
4.  Slow down my voice.  Speak with clearer intent.
5.  Ask for what I want and need.
6.  Stop apologizing for things that are not my doing.
7.  Be brave.  Confront with confidence when necessary.
8.  Organize my personal space but stop worrying over disorganized spaces (desk drawers).
9.  Love myself more - stop being so critical of myself.
10.  Forgive myself and others more freely.

And finally... prepare the house for sale.  

Hubs and are reaching for more financial freedom.  We are at a place where people and living are more important to us than where we reside.  Yes, we love our home.  We love our neighbors.  We love our 'hood.  We love everything about this space.  We picked everything out in this house together, with ease.  In fact, it was the easiest thing we have ever done in our marriage.

Which is why it is so easy for us to do it again... in another place.

Sure, it makes us a little sad.  But why wouldn't it?  We have built memories here that will last us a lifetime.  

But more memories will come.  I'm just sure of it.  Because we won't wait for fate to take charge - we will build it ourselves.  

I hope all of you have a happy, safe and memorable New Years Eve celebration - whether it be out celebrating with friends or snuggled warmly in your homes with your families.  I wish for everyone the best in the coming new year and may all of your wishes, goals and dreams come true!



Happy New Year!

Jen




No comments:

Post a Comment