Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Yep, it's really true...

Happy 2013, friends!  A new year, a new beginning.  I love new calendars, starting over.  Change, basically.

I broke the news (via blog, of course) that we are planning to prepare the house for sale.  Suffice it to say it didn't seem to sit to well with some of our friends.

I didn't think it would.

No, I'm not arrogant.  Nor do I think I am important, quite frankly.  But I thought that a few people may have some words to say over our decision.

And they sure did.

One couple we have grown quite close to last year just flat out told us no.  Nope.  Not going to do it.  I wasn't even sure at that point how to reassure that it was all going to be fine.  

"Won't you still like me even if I live somewhere else?"
"Well, of course."
"Well then - we should be just fine when I move."

10 minutes later I had the exact same conversation again with another friend.  Thank God everyone at the Davis NYE party didn't read my blog before coming!  The confrontation may have been unbearable.

Yes, it will be sad the day we pack and move.  But it is so necessary, so vital to me and the fam.  I really, really, really want to refocus our finances and gain some more financial freedom to do things that are becoming increasingly more important to me than the roof over my head.

No, I don't get my tiny house.  Not yet.  Hubs is concerned little guy may suffocate.  He probably would - he is accustomed now to living in a house with more bathrooms than people.

I started the list today.  The list of small repairs, adjustments, replacements, etc. that will need to be made to the house.  I'm really glad it is in relatively the same shape as it was when we moved in 4 + years ago.  That will help.

I did get the "fiscal cliff" discussion last night as well.

"You know you probably won't get much out of the house at this time, right?"
"Well, I'm not sure I really care.  I'm just ready to shape up my expendable income."

I really don't have a lot of expectations.  I know what I'm up against in putting our house on the market.  Houses are being built up the street from me for not much more than we will be asking.  But we will try, nonetheless.  What's the worst thing that can happen?  We don't get it?  We have to drop the price?  We'll get there somehow, I'm certain of it.

A new year, a new challenge.  Seems fitting.

Hopefully everyone will know before the sign hits the yard.  I'm shooting for January 30 for that to happen if all goes well.

Another summer in an apartment before we buy in the fall?  I wouldn't complain about that at all.  We did that on our way to our 'hood and it was the best summer ever.  No yard work, no giant house to clean, pool every weekend.  Calm, quite.

We shall see.

Happy New Year, friends!  I hope this year treats you with fantastic adventures!


Jen

1 comment:

  1. I'm all for it. Especially if you would consider moving up in the northland. :))

    ReplyDelete