Saturday, February 25, 2012

What EVERY Woman Should Know about B's...

After three and a half months of waking up every morning with a headache (blaming on sinus pressure from seasonal weather changes), needing a nap every day by 3 pm, going to bed by 9 every night (not making it to midnight on the weekends, or New Years Eve, or any other fun event), forcing myself to exercise and run even when I'm not feeling it.... I finally feel PERFECT.  AMAZING, actually.

I spent almost 2 hours yesterday with my doctor.  The one I've seen my whole life.  And not in the exam room, either.  In his office.  For as much as I complain about his office staff (which actually, they are getting better now that he sold his clinic to a bigger medical practice and upped his technology), I absolutely love this guy.  He may even rival Davis, quite frankly (only because of the letters after his name).  Hubs would probably not even put up a fight... he is a Mizzou grad after all.

I went in because I have a serious family history of cardiovascular disease.  After attending the kick-ass health fair at my employer last month, my cholesterol was UP from two years ago (despite working out like crazy and losing 20 lbs.)  So freaked out, I set the appointment, made a list of stuff to discuss and head into his office.

For starters, it's one of the oldest buildings in Lee's Summit.  I have gone there my entire life... in fact my doctor's dad is the doctor that told my momma when I was 6 years old that I was "hyperactive".  Much like a puppy - give her lots of exercise and let her play outside a LOT and she'll be just fine.  He was right :).  And I wasn't drugged to death.  Hubs tells me that if I was in Coop's generation I would be on a zillion drugs and zonked out completely.  How sad would that be?  I like my personality!

After getting a game plan on the cholesterol stuff, we talked about all the vitamins and supplements on the market.  Geesh... how would someone know?  I have friends that LIVE on supplements, throwing down 30 pills a day with breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Proclaiming how much D we all need, how much calcium a woman loses over 40.  Every article, every website, this doctors opinion, Dr. Oz's opinion.  It's COMPLETELY OVERWHELMING to me.  So it take my gummy multi-vitamins every morning and go about my way.

My blood test results showed that I had NO B-12.  Yep, you read that right.  None.  Slight traces.  Apparently over time it is a common vitamin that women deplete, especially over "that age".  Great.

He taught me something I didn't know.  ADEK.  Cute acronym.  Vitamins A, D, E and K are non-water soluble.  Meaning, a person could actually take to much.  He stated it is pretty hard to overdose on vitamins but taking to much of any one kind of the above can cause LOTS of other problems in the body.  

The rest of the vitamin family, such as Bs, are water soluble.  Meaning, your body absorbs exactly what it needs and the rest is sent out of the body.  It is impossible to take to much, although you should still only take what your body needs.

Apparently, my body needs A LOT since it has none.  To solve this, he has taken two steps:  step 1, injection in his office of B12.  Should have instant results.  Step 2:  Take low dose of B12 every day (500 mg only) and see him again for blood work in 4 weeks.  If my body is NOT absorbing the B12 and my levels are not restored appropriately, I'm in for B12 injections indefinitely.




I had NO idea what B12 did to your body, but I do now.

The shot hurt, if I must say.  No, I didn't die and I'm not a total baby.  It was less than fun though, that's for sure.  In the butt.  Awesome.

I didn't feel much different last night, still was asleep on the couch by 9.  This morning though, I am an entirely new woman.

I feel FANTASTIC.  I can take on the world... and I plan to!

I found a great website to help explain the benefits of B12 and there are a TON.  For starters, it kicks your metabolism into gear.  WOW.  Why didn't I do this 5 years ago??  It actually can assist you in weight loss (AFTER of course you do the WORK).  

Here are the top 5 benefits of B12:

1.  It is needed to convert carbs into glucose in the body, thus leading to energy production and a decrease in fatigue and lethargy in the body.

2.  It helps in healthy regulation of the nervous system, reducing depression, stress, and brain shrinkage.

3.  It helps maintain a healthy digestive system.  Vitamin B12 also protects against heart disease by curbing and improving unhealthy cholesterol levels, protecting against stroke, and high blood pressure.

4.  It is essential for healthy skin, hair, and nails.  It helps in cell reproduction and constant renewal of the skin.

5.  B12  helps protect against cancers including breast, colon, lung and prostate cancer.

I never believe in the "perfect fix" to anything but I will share that honestly I haven't felt this good in a LONG time.  I hope the benefits continue!

Have a PRODUCTIVE Saturday, friends!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment