Saturday, September 15, 2012

23 Years Already?

Awww... does it get any cuter than this?



Actually, truth be told, this was known as the time out chair in my previous in-law's home.  And Bubba was in there A LOT.

Most of my friends know the journey I've taken to get where I am today quite well but for those readers that don't know about this stage of my story, I'll give you a BRIEF overview.

I met a boy 3 months after the beginning of my high school career.  Assessing now (with an adult brain and emotions), he was really the first boy to enter my life that I identified as protective, like my father.  I didn't quite understand that possessive wasn't exactly the same thing as protective, a lesson later learned.

Within 6 months, I had eliminated virtually ever girl friendship I had with exception of one.  Sure, I still talked to other girls, but their level of importance in my life drastically changed.  This boy and I did not have a fantastic relationship ~ we fought a lot, broke up (and got back together) far more than anyone should and neither of us could pull the trigger and just leave each other alone.  

I became pregnant in the winter of my junior year of high school.  I'll spare you all of the details, but the most important relevance to this period of time is my parents had just divorced after 37 years of marriage.  I am the baby of the fam and was the last sibling at home to endure their upheaval.  I didn't take it so well.

I married the summer between my junior and senior year and delivered my first son in September of my senior year.  I was the only person in my school (graduating class of 587) that I am aware of that was married and nursing at my senior prom.  I finished school and pushed on, landing the first of job in my industry (and career) at 19.  A great job.  With great friends, an amazing support system and tons of opportunity.

I finally got brave and left my marriage with my son.

Although my path was certainly not the best choice a girl could make I am proud every day of enduring those painful lessons.  They brought me to understand myself better, to trust my instincts, to take risks and move forward.

And I have the most fantastic son.  He is an incredible man and I'm reminded every day that although I had NO idea what I was doing as a mother, made lots of mistakes and somehow bumbled through each phase of his life, I actually accomplished something in the process:  the title of mother.  He is an amazing man, friend, husband and father.  He is unselfish and unwavering in his love for his family.  

And I cannot wait to see what the next 23 years bring him!  Happy birthday, old soul.  I sure do love you, Bubba.  You make this momma a very happy woman!

Have a great Saturday, friends!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment