Saturday, April 07, 2012

EVERYBODY CUT!

It takes a LOT to shock me.  I mean a LOT.  I'm pretty naive and agree that if others say something, I typically believe it.  Hubs pats me on the head a lot (in that very condescending, "oh you didn't get it again" kind of way.

But last night hubs threw me a good one.  

Little guy and I went for a field trip after work yesterday to buy flowers.  I absolutely love walking into a house with flowers greeting me at the door!  I have a ton of work to do this year as I didn't plan any annuals last year so thankfully Bubba rounded up all the soil and mulch I would need and I had the final task of getting stuff into the ground.

We stopped by Hy-Vee to pick up dinner (Coop's choice ~ chicken caeser wraps and fresh fruit... have I told you how much I love this kid?) and on our way out, we splurged and rented some Red Box movies.  Oh what an awesome concept.  $1.  Who wouldn't do that (and keep them out for a week thus resulting in the same cost as the movie theater)?

When we do rent movies in our house, we all get one pick.  One for mom, one for dad, one for little guy.  Little guy always picks some ultra violent video game which I succumb only because in his real life he is the sweetest, most gentle thing ever.  He clearly needs to live vicariously through a video game. Yep, mom of the year award nailed down for me.

I picked a political piece for Davis - J. Edgar.  Will be right up his alley.

For me?  Although I have waited forever to see it, desperately bucking the system because of my first love, I picked up the new Footloose.  I was a tried and true Footloose fan in 1984.  I was 13 years old when it came out.  I danced and danced and danced around my living room.  I begged my mom for the soundtrack cassette tape.  I wanted red cowboy boots (but didn't get any).  And in my tween years, I wanted to be rebellious like Ariel.  Alas, did I know that I would really would be in a much bigger way.  Ah, some other blog.  I found the original Ariel to be absolutely stunning although she wasn't the most beautiful movie star around at that time.   She was tall and skinny, and so was I at that time... so I totally wanted to be her.

I raise my hand before dinner...."me, me, ME!  I want my movie to go first!"  We pop in the disk.




Hubs has never seen Footloose.  NEVER.  Not one, single, solitary time.  Not even on TNT reruns.  He has never seen THE ORIGINAL Footloose.


How in the world is that possible?  He graduated his school (ahem) in 1987!  He would have been in the prime of his high school years and this is a high school movie?? He's seen Breakfast Club and St. Elmo's Fire and Ferris Beuller's Day Off... so how did this one get through the cracks?

I was in awe.  I just couldn't believe it.

Suffice it to say he thought I was a complete dork when I could sing every word to every song last night.  And recite half of the dialog.
Oh and by the way, the new movie was produced EXCELLENTLY.  They completely left the original in tact and just updated some of the surroundings, music, clothes, etc.  It was incredible.  I think it may be the first remake I have seen that truly did justice to the original.

After the movie was over we had to dance in the living room, singing the Footloose song.  Even little guy.  Because Blake Shelton is awesome.

Happy Saturday, friends!

Jen

1 comment:

  1. MMMM, I agree with every single word you said. I loved, loved, loved Footloose 1 and 2. In my heart, I still think I am 16.
    The thing that made this new one so good was...........you guessed it! Blake Shelton!!
    He is now on my list of favorites.
    Have a great Easter,Jenny.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete