Monday, April 23, 2012

TRUE SOUL STEPS!

I am so SUPER excited to share with you today, friends!

I had an awesome opportunity to hang out with my niece Z Saturday night and oh my, we had a BLAST!  It's been a long time since I've been around a 14 year old and I forgot how incredibly fun they can be.  We giggled, laughed, shopped and macked on Zac Efron in his new flick, The Lucky One.  Wowzer, that boy is ripped!  Awesome eye candy!

Anyway, as we shopped and talked, I came upon a sign in a shoe store window that I just couldn't ignore any longer.  I have yearned for a pair of TOMS for about 2 years now, from the first time I read their story.  To be completely honest, I wasn't really thrilled with their shoes so much but their mission was so compelling to me.

For those of you that aren't aware, I'll inform you! 
Blake Mycoskie, a born entrepreneur, is the founder of the TOMS organization.  Some of you may remember him as being on the Amazing Race with his sister Paige, coming within minutes of winning the $1 million dollar prize!  He founded TOMS in 2006 when he saw the hardships facing children growing up barefoot in Argentina.  I can't even begin to imagine all of the kids on my street even with no shoes and he was faced with thousands, with no end in sight. 


He started a movement, which he named One for One.  His idea was simple:  I'm going to create a shoe, and for every single pair I sell, I will give a second pair to a child in need.  One year after creating his company, he returned to Argentina to hand place 10,000 pairs of shoes on children!  What an amazing accomplishment!


What I also love about the company is the youth!  College kids are becoming involved in the company through internships, campus activities, etc. and systemically the company continues to grow through social media. 

SO... after a long wait, I finally purchased my first pair of TOMS.  I'm so hooked!!  As most of you know I am NOT a brand name girl and certainly not materialistic, but something changes in my mind when I realize my shoes are also on the feet of some beautiful child that otherwise may not have had any.  It puts a special spring in my step!


If you would like to read more about TOMS story, click here.  TOMS  They have lots of different styles like wedges, ballet flats, vegan and sequins and are mostly sold at stores at the mall, not your local Famous Footwear or DSW.

Hopefully their story inspires you, too!

Happy Monday, friends!
Jen

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I've had similar thoughts - LOVE the idea, but hadn't fallen in love with a shoe yet. Thanks for the nudge. And glad you had fun with Z!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comfy, comfy, comfy!!! I absolutely LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete