Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Kill Shot!!

Well, I figured out why I never joined the military last night.

Let me preface this by saying I do not have an aversion to video games.  I do think that some kids that tend to lean more toward the introverted style of personality need to be limited on screen time so that they don't become anti-social adults.  And of course kids need to put their school work first, blah, blah, blah.  But personally, I don't mind them.  I remember scoring my first Atari and playing Pac Man until my eyes were burning out.  I was the first of my siblings to own a gaming system (they weren't around for my older sibs), so my parents did NOT get why I wanted to sit in front of the screen.  Fine, I'll go skating...  And play video games there.

When I met hubs he brought a Sega Genesis into the marriage.  That's pretty cool, I thought.  Lots more games.  Didn't really get the controller and didn't really understand sports games but I did my best.  We moved up into a PlayStation once they came out and hence, Bubba learned video gaming.

But it wasn't really Bubba that was the problem ~ it was ME.  I had a good friend that would come over and we would have "Crash" parties.  We could play Crash Bandicoot, an adventure game, for HOURS.  Had to get to the end of the game.  When we did, we would play Spyro, another adventure game.  I'm sure hubs just stood back thinking "What the hell?"

It didn't get much better over the years.  Moved to PlayStation 2 and the advent of Guitar Hero.  OH MY GOODNESS.  Who would have thought?  I have to actually admit out loud that I played that thing 24 hours straight once.  I couldn't put it down.  Nah, I don't have addictive personalities or anything....

I'm proud to say that I think my addiction has ended.  We have had a Wii for a few years now and we all play it together quite a bit, but nothing like we used to.  Even little guy uses systems pretty sparingly compared to a lot of his friends.  He'd much rather be outside.  Until....

Santa was very, very bad this year.  If I ever get my hands on that fatty I'm going to strangle him.  We awoke to two new controllers ~ gun things ~ and Modern Warfare 3.  Oh no worries, it's not nearly as bad if you just turn down the volume so little guy can't hear the words.  Or the music.  Oh my god.

So I told hubs last night I wanted to play it with him.  I needed to see what little guy was doing.  Honestly I wanted to veto it.  He's done nothing but play that dumb game since Christmas.  After 20 minutes of trying to set up multi-player use (which we never figured out), I sat down for I'd say less than 30 seconds, stood up, handed the gun to little guy, and declared "I'm done".  I mean seriously, how many times can you get shot in 30 seconds?  Oh, oh... I know this one!  About a ZILLION.  I was getting shot from all angles and couldn't even figure out how to turn around to defend myself!  I have never been so mad at a game in my whole life.  Stupid.

I'm sure it's the most awful thing in the world for a 10 year old to own, but he loves it.  Wants to know if Bubba will be doing that in the Navy.  Lord help us, I sure hope not!!  For me, my days of shooting games has come to an end.  Abruptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment