Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Nina, Nana, Banana, Fantastic!

One of my friends commented on Facebook this weekend how much fun it was to receive packages she ordered in the mail for other people.  Even though she was giving, it was just like Christmas to her to receive the packages on her doorstep.  I couldn't agree more!

A couple of days ago I received a package for my grandson on my doorstep.  You would have thought I won the lottery ~ I was jumping up and down with joy!  It's a gift that both of my boys had a child and loved so I hope he finds as much enjoyment out of it as they did.  Then, all of a sudden, I started to tear up.  Ah, the joys of grandparenting.

I love my grandson.  Wait, maybe I wasn't clear on this.  I LOVE my grandson!  He is every s word that I use to describe people that I like ~ sassy, saucy, spicy ~ all wrapped up into the most adorable, loving, sweet, chubby little body.  At least he is consistent, I'm pretty sure my daughter would say he was that way in utero.

My daughter had a very traumatic labor and delivery.  It most certainly defined how fragile life can be (and how strong the power of prayer can be).  It was in that moment that I saw my son as grown man, vulnerable and scared, strong in his faith and unwavering in his love for his wife.  Sometimes from unfortunate circumstances you can really see the true character in people.

But through it all, E was perfect.  It's as though God put a bubble around him during the events and placed his hands on the doctors hands to get him through safely.  And they did :).

When I first met him, I fell in love.  I couldn't believe how full my heart felt ~ I stood in the nursery with my chest pounding with excitement.  My daughter wasn't able to see her son for a very long time after he was born so her mother and I took a thousand pictures of his every single movement to record them in time for her.  We were able to work together to give him his first bath, a moment I will never, ever forget.  Pure love.

Afterwards during a quiet moment with my son, I told him how much I loved our new buddy.  I mean REALLY loved him.  I even thought I loved him more than I did my son.  (Joke!  Okay, sort of...)  But it's true what everyone says ~ being a grandparent is so incredibly rewarding.  I get to love him, spoil him, cuddle him, give him everything he wants... then send him home.  I don't have any pressure to make sure he gets good grades in school, or is nice to his friend on the playground or cleans his room.  I just get to love him.  Unconditionally. 

I cannot wait to participate in his life.  We don't know where the kids will be next Christmas, but suffice it to say we will be with them one way or another.  Maybe our Christmas will be in Florida next year?  Little guy does want to know how to build a sand snowman...





No comments:

Post a Comment