Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Time for me to FLY

The day has finally arrived.  My son has his ship orders ~ subject to change in accordance to the United States Navy, of course.  He's heading out west... his desired location.

Not really mine.  But I'm not sure any location would be my desired location at this point.

Reality has set in and it's unavoidable at this point.  The kids, my kids, are moving across the country.  They are leaving my hometown.  They are leaving us behind. 

I know it's a great adventure.  I know it will be awesome.  I'm not quite sure why I'm hyperventilating.  Nonetheless, I am.

In all honesty, I had hoped in the back of my mind that they would end up in Florida.  I've had a secret crush on the state for a long time now, have a great friend living there and love to visit.  I could picture myself there, eventually, with my kids.

The west coast?  Not exactly.  I don't know why, but for some reason I can't see myself there.  Ever (well, for more than a visit, anyway).  As much time as I have run on Santa Monica beach, cruised 5 Highway in LA at mach 10 and soaked up the sun in between client visits there, I still can't see myself there for any extended period of time.

I'm a bit conflicted today.  Extreme pride and joy, as always.  A bit anxious for the actual move.  And truth be told ~ panicked about the future without seeing my kids at least once a week.

So I did what I always do.  I Googled flights.  I'm sure my daughter would laugh knowing this as both my son and I are self-professed Google-maniacs.  If you want to know ANYTHING about ANYTHING, just Google it.  $321 round trip.  Plus a rental car.  Plus a hotel.  Minimum $600 for a weekend trip.

Can I afford to take a trip every month?  Because right now I feel that's what I'm going to need to do.

But I fear I won't.  Life will get busy.  Time will slip away.  Weeks will turn into months.  And that makes me sad to even consider.  And makes me hyperventilate.

For now, I'm going to just run.  Training always makes my head clear and helps me accept new challenges.  I'm going to pray to not be so afraid of these changes and hopefully sweat the fear right out of my body.
And I'm going to keep my eye on the boat... I mean ship... my son will work on shortly.



It is quite impressive.  In addition to "management" there are 340 enlisted men and women working on the boat.  I mean ship.

I'll get it right someday.

Have a great Wednesday, friends.  Sorry for the ho hum... just being a real person today.

Jen




No comments:

Post a Comment