Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Am I Clueless Again?

I went shopping today at lunch. A co-worker asked me to accompany her to a store to buy something for daughter for Christmas so I obliged.  I am still trying to make new friends at my new work so I thought this might be a good opportunity to get to know her.

Her daughter is 13.  I have known a few 13 year old girls in my life so I think I have learned what is "hip".  This is middle school age for those of you not keeping track.

We went to Vera Bradley.  Yep, you read that right.  VERA BRADLEY.  For those of you that have NO idea what that is, I'll tell you.  Vera Bradley is a company that makes bags, purses, wallets, etc.  All sorts of carrying contraptions all the way to luggage.  Sounds pretty reasonable, right?

Uh NO.  No, no, no.  The items that are produced by this company are all quilted.  QUILTED, like my grandma's quilts.  I said "isn't this store a bit too old for your daughter?"  Her response?  Oh no, all of the young girls are carrying this now - it is quite popular for girls her age!  Now I'm not trying to say I don't like them so don't get in a tizzy if you do own this style of purse - I just am not sold that it is age appropriate at 13.

So I paid close attention around the room.  My instincts were RIGHT.  Every woman in that store was 100 years old except for the bubbly little sales clerk.  Any woman near my age HAD to be buying these items for her grandmother.  Just had to be.

I thought of my BFFs daughter and laughed.  NO WAY would she carry this, no way.  Maybe I am way off the mark, but I just can't see it happening.  I get to see her on Thursday so I can't wait to ask her if she has 4 of these bags.  Her younger daughter is 11 and takes sewing, so I could TOTALLY see her carrying a quilted bag, but it would be one of her own creation and a WAY cute pattern.

On a good note, I will tell you she obviously loves and cares for her daughter very much.  These items are very expensive!  Not your typical Target purse, I'll tell you that.  Even I don't pay $98 for a duffel bag.

New experiences abound.  Oh, I put up a pic so you could experience it yourself.  What are your thoughts ~ I'd love your comments! 

Lemon Parfait Design

No comments:

Post a Comment