Friday, November 04, 2011

Oh no, not again...

I was sadden to learn last night that a friend of Bubba's died suddenly on Monday.  Ugh.  This will make the third young man we know to lose his life suddenly.

Death is so imminent.  Yet when it happens, it seems we are never prepared.  All to often we hear people say the words "I just wish I had more time..."  Maybe the pure shock of the loss causes us to feel an immediate anxiety of the inability to see them again.  Or maybe we really do wish we had more time.

What is the appropriate age to die?  Some would say "I want to be 100 years old, in perfect health and just go to bed and not wake up."  Well, not some.  A LOT of people would think that is desirable. 

I lost my momma a few years ago.  Looking back now, I was so lucky to have her as long as I did.  She was a 40 year smoker, didn't exercise a day in her life, weighed MAYBE 100 lbs at 5'5 and had pulmonary and cardiovascular diseases.  Statistically she made it way longer than she should have.  Although I was really given 5 hard long years of illness to prepare, when she passed away I was completely shocked.  "Hmmm, I wonder why that is?  Not just because she is my mother, but truthfully I felt guilt and regrets for "losing time".

My point is this:  don't wait for people to die to learn the lesson that you wish you had more time.  Spend the time with them NOW.  Make time in your life.  If it is somebody outside of your every day life, make it a point to connect with them and make certain in each interaction you TELL them they make a difference in your life.  Maybe if we start to live life in that manner we will find that when people pass we can more easily move through the inevitable process.  Oh sure, sadness will occur.  But regrets? Maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment