Tuesday, July 10, 2012

3rd Time is a Charm

The training has officially begun!

If you have followed my blog for a length of time, you know that I have run three half marathons and trained for 2 marathons in the last two years.  In both of my marathon efforts, I have not successfully completed the race.  Ugh.  I hate failure.  But alas... if at first you don't succeed, try again! 

I was determined to get this task completed for my 40th and although I can't get it done before my (ahem) 41st birthday, it will be the week after.  Close enough for me.

I was pretty determined my first training go around.  Simultaneously trained and completed P90x.  Seriously best shape I've ever been in last April.  I was rockin' hard, strong and ready to go.  Completely all my long runs (that 20 miler was KILLER) and was more freakin' excited than you can imagine.  I think my primary problem was my head, to be honest.  By the time the race came, I had a lot going on in my brain.  Hubs' back was in serious shape - he could barely walk.  I trained with a girlfriend but knew I wasn't going to be able to run with her (she is WAY faster than me).  And I'm not totally convinced now that I was really doing it for ME.  Which any of you that have run even a short distance know that you have to WANT to do it, or you won't complete.

And I didn't.  I had a major knee pain at mile 10, drug my butt to the medic stand bawling and was told they thought I probably tore my ACL.  Wrapped in ice, pumped with ibuprofen and in massive pain, I continued to run (while crying and calling Davis) until I crossed the half finish line.  I was so incredibly disappointed in myself.  I laid on our hotel bed after the race and cried until I couldn't cry anymore.  Hubs rubbed my head and reassured me it was all going to be okay.

There is no worse feeling than disappointment in yourself.  I hate not accomplishing my dreams, saying something I don't mean (that I can't take back) or making mistakes (which I do a lot).  Not that anyone likes those things.

This time is different.  After being off the last two months with my post Warrior Dash ankles, I really, really, really want to do this for myself.  For my husband.  To show the world I can actually accomplish my dreams.  I know I can do this!!

I'm not a great runner.  I struggle a lot mentally.  I have to convince myself I'm not dying and to keep moving a lot of the time.  But I've learned you don't have to be a great runner to run a marathon (or a half).  You have to have determination.  Will power.  And a great training plan.

So I've given myself some buffer weeks, but the training started this past weekend.  I'm determined to stick with the schedule.  Run all the runs, no matter what.  Give myself proper fuel to get this done.

Oh, and of course I'm dragging hubs with me.  He so beautifully tackled the Hospital Hill half I know this will be a walk in the park for him.  Plus we can do it together, stay together and accomplish it together.  How great is that... 20 years together and finishing a marathon?  I'd say if we can make it 20 years together, that is WAY harder than running a marathon!



Happy Tuesday, friends!

Jen

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I needed that! I'm training for my next half and really struggled last week. Reading this, I was thinking.. that's exactly how I feel. I'm so much more like my Aunt Jenny than I ever realized. And I love it! Good luck! I know you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete