Saturday, July 14, 2012

Boastful Momma

I am so freakin' excited! Jeremy wrote Kate this week and has been named Section Leader!

Sounds awesome - what the hell is that? Well, thanks to the Navy's awesome Recruit Training Center website I looked it up!

Well, like all "middle management" jobs, it has it's ups and downs for sure. The advantages are pretty cool.  He gets to lead his group of 13 Recruits assigned to him in their marches.. be in the front.  That's pretty awesome.  His assigned Recruits have to go to Jeremy first with all of their questions rather than to the Watch Leader.  He leads them into chow allowing him to get his food first (which totally pleases me!)  He got a kick ass pin to commemorate it.  All in all, it's pretty freakin' cool.

The disadvantages?  He says he gets no privacy (I actually won't type what he said, but you can get the gist).  Recruits are constantly bugging him with questions.  And if his section messes up with something?  He takes the responsibility.  Oh, that's a tough one.  But what a fantastic practice in teamwork!

It was hard enough for me as a momma to be responsible for my OWN 17 year old.  I can't imagine what it might be to have a gaggle of them.  Scared and nervous.  And making mistakes.  Jer's only 22 taking all that on!

Obviously, my pride meter is overflowing.  I'm totally beaming over this news.  However, to quote Hubs, this news really isn't much of a surprise.  Bub was born to lead.  This is totally expected.

I love the study of birth order.  Being a first born I'm sure has influenced Jer.  Whether with his sisters or his brother, Jeremy has always been a fantastic big brother.  Very protective.  Not afraid to share his past experiences to help guide his siblings.  Always willing to lend a hand when he is needed.



He was a born leader on Coop's football team, helping Hubs coach for the first few years of tackle.  He demanded a lot from the boys and they responded very well to his demands, becoming better players because of him.



So I have absolutely no doubt the Navy has seen this attribute in Jeremy.  And so fast!  When he wrote Kate the letter he was only 2 weeks into boot camp so this is quite a quick achievement.  I am confident he will continue to wow the socks off this institution.

Way to go, Bub.  You rock.  We all couldn't be more proud of you if we tried and can't wait to see you soon!

Happy Saturday, friends!
Jen

1 comment:

  1. So happy that things are going so well for him. We are busting out buttons also. He is a special boy***I mean man!!!

    ReplyDelete