Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hungry, Hungry Hippo

I am a food junkie.  As in I just can't seem to get enough!  I think about food 24/7.  It's pretty unusual for me to go a complete hour without thinking about my next meal, the grocery store or some awesome recipe I saw on a blog somewhere.  

I am quite the lucky woman.  My hubs LOVES to be in the kitchen.  At one point I really tried to convince him to go to culinary school.  But he has no interest in cooking for others... just our family.  He is so adventurous and has made me things I would have NEVER tried on my own (nor ordered at a restaurant). Our little guy is just like him... loves to be in the kitchen whipping up stuff and will try anything, at least once. He is only 10 still....

I have stumbled across my newest favorite blog a few weeks ago and I just can't get enough of it.  You can find it on My Blog List if you are interested.  It is Iowa Girl Eats and it's FANTASTIC!

Last night we gave two of her recipe finds a try.  Quinoa mac 'n cheese and cake batter dip dessert.  YUMMO.  I couldn't be happier with both of them, so I thought I'd share them with my readers, too!  Following is the description directly from her website:


This macaroni and cheese recipe is off the chain. It’s made with quinoa instead of pasta, and includes a modest amount of sharp cheddar cheese.
DSC_0052
Plus it takes very little time and effort to make. Start by sauteing shallots and tomatoes in a little olive oil.
DSC_0010
Add garlic and rinsed quinoa, then toast the quinoa until it’s golden brown.
DSC_0012
DSC_0015
Add water, drop the lid on top, and let the quinoa cook until all the water has been absorbed – about 15 minutes.
DSC_0019
Meanwhile, mix up the mac & cheese binder – eggs + milk.
DSC_0026
Stir the cooked quinoa, eggs and milk together, melt in a little cheddar cheese, and bake in a casserole dish for 30 minutes.
DSC_0031
The recipe made a 9×13 pan, which I cut into 8 servings. Each serving came out to be around 285 calories – way healthier than your traditional mac and cheese!

Here is my actual dinner pic ~ we added swordfish and sauteed spinach to our meal!


Since we ate so healthy, we added in a dessert from her Friday Favorites blog (which I will definitely start to incorporate with my OWN favorites onto my blog ~ great idea!)

Here it is:

Funfetti Cake Batter Dip3 ingredients = relatively guilt-free (for a dip with cake batter in the name!)

Here is our final pic:


It was a GREAT dinner!  I can't wait for our next meal.... shocker!

Give them a try, friends!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment