Saturday, January 28, 2012

Makin' the List

I'm getting the itch.  It must be time to work.

I am most definitely externally charged.  Meaning my environment (and the people in it) most certainly influence my behaviors and moods.  When I am surrounded by positive people that are passionate about something, I'm right in the thick of it.  Conversely, when I am around negative, cynical people my moods can often reflect that as well.  That's why I don't have many negative people around me... ever!

I love living in the midwest.  Our seasonal changes always make me incredibly excited.  I love Fall the most, but Spring is a very distant second.  Although we are still quite in the throws of winter (or so they say), it has been unseasonably warm this year.  We have only had a couple of spits of snow of which melted once hitting the ground.  We've experienced many 50 degree days.. IN JANUARY!  It is quite odd to say the least.  Damn global warming.

As I sit and have my coffee this morning, I can't help but get the itch to make a list.  The sun is shining, it is supposed to be 50 degrees today.  Perfect weather for opening and cleaning windows, painting, staining, cleaning out closets and the like.  Shoot, a few more degrees and I'd want my hands in the dirt planting something!  Crazy, strange.  There is no WAY we will be this lucky to maintain this through February let alone March.  Never say never I suppose. 

I get this itch from my father.  When I was a kid, he started every Saturday morning with a cup of coffee and a blank yellow legal pad of paper.  I dreaded that pad of paper back then.  It meant he was going to write a million things to do and no doubt I would be included in them somewhere.  Although I must say that it was a great opportunity for me to spend time with him... cleaning out the garage, running errands.  We were great Saturday chore buddies.

My list in our house is so long, some days I don't even know where to start.  We have officially passed 3 years in the 'hood so it's time for some repairs and upkeep.  My kitchen needs a bit of work, from appliances to woodwork to paint.  I'm getting ready to refinish my grandmother's piano bench for our foyer, a project I've wanted to do for years.  I need to finalize my photography order for our living room (I'm not big on pics hanging in the house - I guess I got used to not doing that after years of watching HGTV and their "suggestions for sale" episodes).  In short... I've got a list.

Hubs has a list, too.  He even bought a white board for the garage so we could keep it all straight.  Stuff for the outside, the cars, the garage, etc.  Ah... domestic bliss.

Although I love to celebrate season change and tackle these projects, it always makes me consider our Tiny House and the long term plans I dream of.  I can't wait for the day when hubs and I get up, get dressed and take a hike together with our morning coffee.  When our laundry equates to three loads a week rather than three loads a day.  When the land around us is natural and doesn't require 6 applications of chemicals to keep up with the neighbs (and please the HOA).  Ah, to dream.

 One day all of this hard work will pay off.  For now, I'm off to make my list for the weekend.  Have a great day, readers!
Jen



No comments:

Post a Comment