Sunday, January 29, 2012

HELP is on the Way

I love Sunday mornings.  I know I've blogged that a zillion times, but obviously it is true!  My house is so quiet ~ the dogs go back to sleep after breakfast, hubs and little guy are still snoozing away and I'm all alone to think.  Maybe the best few moments of my week.

Sundays were always family day when I was a kiddo.  My dad even said "no sleep overs" on Saturday night in preparation for Sundays.  He too must have cherished that quiet time within your own four walls.  My mom always cooked, we planned for the week and we communicated with one another.  Most of our meals were together anyway through the week but there was a different feel about Sundays.

I am holding my 3rd annual Oscar Watch Party for my girlfriends at the end of February (on a Sunday).  In preparation, I need to watch the Best Picture nominations!  It always seems that I have never seen (or heard of) any of the nominations which certainly puts a damper on the awards show.  Hubs and I watched The Help last night so Moneyball or the Tree of Life is on the list today.  We have to check them off on the weekends ~ our weeks are far to busy to sit and enjoy a movie midweek.  

For those of you that don't know (because you live UNDERGROUND, obviously), here is a little snippet about this particular movie:

The Help is a 2011 drama film adaptation of Kathryn Stockett's novel of the same name. The film is an ensemble piece about a young white woman, Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan, and her relationship with two black maids during Civil Rights era America in the early 1960s. Skeeter is a journalist who decides to write a controversial book from the point of view of the maids (known as the Help), exposing the racism they are faced with as they work for white families.


The film takes place in Jackson, Mississippi, and stars Emma StoneViola DavisOctavia SpencerBryce Dallas HowardJessica ChastainSissy SpacekMike VogelMary Steenburgen, and Allison JanneyThe Help opened to positive reviews and became a massive box office success with gross of $205.3 million against its budget of $25 million. In January 2012, the film received four Academy Awards nominations including Best Picture and acting nods for Davis, Chastain and Spencer.


So as hubs and I snuggled on the couch watching the movie, I wasn't quite prepared to dislike it.  All of my friends that have read the book said it was just an awesome story and those that have seen the movie said that the adaptation was perfect.  I love Emma Stone... ever since The Rocker (a movie I'm sure nobody has seen!) I fell in love with that little sassy redhead.  I am quite partial to reds!  Though her performance (and those of the rest of the actors) was incredibly individually, the story just broke my heart.  Yes, I expected it was going to be rough obviously due to the premise.  But I wasn't quite prepared for how angry I was going to feel.

I have seen many movies that address slavery and racism in our country, but this one struck a different type of chord in me.  It took individual women, not a group of people as in Remember the Titans, and told their individual stories of leaving their own children at home to be cared by others while raising white babies for white women.  Although they were paid for their services, it was ridiculous ($182 a month) and insulting.  Not to mention the forced segregation and complete lack of respect they were given.

I cried.  My stomach hurt.  I was ashamed.  I cannot believe that was such a short time ago - my momma's generation.  I cannot believe that was acceptable in this country.  Hell, it was WRITTEN in the Mississippi State Laws.  Ugh.  I cannot even fathom treating another human being (or animal for that matter) in the way these women were treated.  Just makes me sick.

So much for a feel good.  That was certainly not it. 

So today I'm going to try to watch something a bit more uplifting.  I need a Sunday feel good.  It's our cheat day so hubs is making biscuits and gravy for breakfast (yummo!)  I'll take a pic of my food, I'm sure.  The kids are coming for dinner and I cannot WAIT to snuggle nugget.  I miss his sweet face!

Happy Sunday, readers!  I hope you have a relaxing day!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment